Easy Homemade Mayonnaise
Today I want to share with you a simple recipe to make homemade mayonnaise. Confession: I
really like am obsessed with mayo. It’s so delicious. So creamy. And so great to add on burgers, as a dipping sauce, or as a base for salad dressings. The problem with store-bought mayo is that it’s full of additives and has a long shelf life (months or years, depending on what you read). So, for a while now I’ve made my own homemade mayonnaise.
But here’s the problem with traditional homemade mayonnaise. It takes forever to make and is so easy to ruin. Either my right arm would get tired from whisking. Or my left arm would get tired from holding the measuring cup while it drip…drip…drip….drips oil into the mixing bowl. Or I would get 3/4 of the way through making it and suddenly the mayonnaise stops emulsifying and done – your mayonnaise is a sloppy mess. So frustrating!
So, I happened across this ridiculously easy way to make homemade mayonnaise that literally takes less than 30 seconds. Maybe even less than 15. It was so quick that I didn’t bother to count.
1 cup oil (I use equal parts avocado oil and olive oil)
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 large mouth mason jar (you could use a bowl I suppose but this way I just screw the top on the mason jar and stick it in the fridge)
1. Put all ingredients into mason jar.
2. Place immersion blender into the mason jar so that it touches the bottom.
3. Start to blend but keep the immersion blender on the bottom until half of the mayonnaise is emulsified.
4. Start to slowly move the immersion blender up and down until all mayonnaise is made.
5. You’re done. How easy is that?
Want to amp it up a bit with your mayo? Here are some great ways to make mayo an “any day event” in your home.
- mix in a little sriracha sauce for some heat as a great dipping sauce for meats or seafood (mmmm, shrimp)
- add in your fav spices for a veggie dip sauce
- use it as a base for a creamy salad dressing
- throw it in either a potato, chicken or egg salad