My Daily Skin Care Rituals
Have you ever looked in the mirror and wondered where the laugh lines and forehead wrinkles came from? Over the years, our faces change! I started to take more of an interest about two years ago. My face was familiar but somehow it seemed like it was aging overnight. The truth was I had always taken care of my skin but I didn’t have skin care rituals that I stuck to. I knew I had to wash it daily. I knew to moisturize. Truthfully though, that was the extent of my skin care routine. There is something about turning 40 though that made me take a little more interest in my skin and so I wanted to share with you what has worked well for me.
- Drink a LOT of water. I fill up on about 7-10 eight ounce glasses a day if I averaged it out, more if I’m exercising heavily. Your body is approximately 60% water so it’s crucial for you to hydrate regularly. Not only are you hydrated but drinking regularly throughout the day prevents headaches, supports a healthy digestion, reduces brain fog, reduces muscles cramping, regulates hunger, helps to regular blood pressure and so much more. Not keen on regular water? Check out my post on how to flavour it!
- Dry brush your skin. Not only does this help slough off dead skin cells and improve your complexion, but dry brushing is a great way to promote circulation and lymph drainage. Invest in a medium to soft brush for your skin so as not to damage it with firmer bristles. As part of your morning rituals, start at your ankles and wrists and move the brush towards your heart. On your stomach, move in a counter-clockwise direction. In total, take about 2-4 minutes each morning to dry brush.
- Yarrow|Pom. My friends, this product alone has made me feel ten years younger in the last 7 weeks. I started to take Yarrow|Pom capsules in the morning and evening. Within six weeks, I noticed a decrease in fine lines. The three “anger lines” I had between my eyes had significantly reduced and the redness on my nose and chin have almost disappeared. I am beyond happy with the results.
- Morning Face Ritual: rinse with warm water and a gentle cleanser, wipe with a toner, apply eye cream, spot treat any blemishes, and apply a moisturizer.
- Evening Face Ritual: remove any makeup, rinse with warm water and a gentle cleanser, moisturize.
My skin care line that I use is the Essentials Skin Care line from doTERRA. I love their Verage skin care line (plant based) and their HD Clear skin care line (for problem skin) but for me, I find the Essentials line is what works best.
That’s it! I keep things pretty simple. I also watch what I eat by reducing the foods that are known irritants to my digestive system. For me, foods that trigger my digestive system are sugars, glutens, and high amounts of dairy. I focus my menu choices on high quality animal proteins, vegetables, fruits, and high quality fats. I know that nourishing my skin is more an inside job than an outside one.